Textile Waste Scenarios Validated at Workshop
- Monday, 26 September 2016
On 14 September, European textile waste and chemical industry experts were brought together at RESYNTEX’s Experts Workshop on Textile Waste Situation & Textile Waste-to-chemical Scenarios. The Brussels event was organised by project partners Cefic and EURATEX.
EURATEX and Oakdene Hollins presented an overview of the textile waste situation in Europe. The estimate made by Oakdene Hollins is that 80,000 tons of residual waste are generated in the European Union per year. RESYNTEX can use up to 50,000 tons from this waste stream.
External experts shared their experience on textile waste and recycling in their own countries:
- Only 32.5% of used household linen and footwear is collected for reuse or recycling in France, stated Eco TLC
- 90,000 tons of textile waste is collected in the Netherlands each year and it should increase 50% by 2020 according to Alcon Advies and Texperium
- Over 120,000 tons of used textile were recycled in Belgium, showed a report from COBEREC
- Only 3,000 tons of textile waste are separately collected in the Czech Republic and only 3% is recycled per year, stated INOTEX Ltd.
The participants agreed that RESYNTEX has a great value for all sectors involved and the wider circular economy too.
Read the full report of the Textile Waste Situation & Textile Waste-to-Chemicals Scenarios Experts Workshop here: